My name is Carol Pinchefsky, and I’m a freelance writer with over 20 years in the editorial trenches, I specialize in geek culture, but I have extensive experience in technology, science, and business.
I was the official geek blogger for Forbes.com for two years, and I spent ten years at SyFy.com (previously Blastr, and prior to that, SciFi.com). Other geeky publications include The Witcher Magazine, Stranger Things Magazine, Geek & Sundry, SFX, Strange Horizons, IGN, PC Gamer, Gameshark, MMO Games, The New York Review of Science Fiction, The Intergalactic Medicine Show, Lightspeed, and Battlestar Galactica Magazine.
Other markets include Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, The New York Times, Time Out New York, Playboy.com, The Fast Track, Viacom, IT World, eWeek, Information Week, Smart Bear, and MacLife.
I’ve covered every aspect of geek culture, from TV/movies, games, books, comic books, cosplay, and business, and in the last two decades, I’ve seen it grow into the dominant culture. I’m thrilled to be a part of this brave new geeky world.
I live in New York City with my husband and our books.
A few career highlights
- Appeared as a judge in an episode of the Food Network Challenge.
- Raised over $1 million in funding for the nonprofit Teachers in Space.
- Interviewed celebrities such as Neil Gaiman, Matt Smith, Anthony Daniels, Gale Anne Hurd, Paul Giamatti, Daniel Craig, Lucy Lawless, and more, sometimes on camera.
- Performed stand-up comedy twice.
- Wrote two live-action roleplaying games.
- Received three poetry award nominations.
- Took photographs that were used as book and album covers.